Friday, August 1, 2008

Do we really need coal?

A report published today by Poyry Energy suggests that we don't.

I'm not sure I believe them. A few reasons:
1) The report has been comissioned for WWF and Greenpeace. Greenpeace are opossed to coal regardless of how clean it is. WWF are taking the correct approach of "when CCS is being used it's fine".
2) The report assumes that the electricity this country will use will decline! This is the first report I have ever seen which makes this assumption! I was always taught that GDP has linked to electricity consumption (yes, I know that graph comes from an oil company, but I don't believe that they will have deliberately plotted it wrongly - you have to trust someone at some point it time).

For me, this assumption is enough to kill the report.

No comments: